Academic publications related to the project
- Dencik, Lina. 2018. ‘Surveillance Realism and the Politics of Imagination: Is There No Alternative?’ Krisis, Journal for Contemporary Philosophy, Data Activism, 1. http://krisis.eu/surveillance-realism-and-the-politics-of-imagination-is-there-no-alternative/.
- Dencik, Lina, Arne Hintz, and Jonathan Cable. 2016. ‘Towards Data Justice? The Ambiguity of Anti-Surveillance Resistance in Political Activism’. Big Data & Society 3 (2): 205395171667967. https://doi.org/10.1177/2053951716679678.
- A conceptual framework for approaching social justice in an age of datafication (PDF). By Lina Dencik, Fieke Jansen and Philippa Metcalfe. August 2018. Webpage available at https://datajusticeproject.net/2018/08/30/a-conceptual-framework-for-approaching-social-justice-in-an-age-of-datafication/.
- The datafication of borders and management of refugees in the context of Europe (PDF). By Javier Sánchez-Monedero. November 2018.
- How to (partially) evaluate automated decision systems (PDF). By Javier Sánchez-Monedero and Lina Dencik. December 2018.
The first ‘Data Justice’ Conference
The first ‘Data Justice’ conference was held 21-22 May 2018 at Cardiff University (Cardiff, UK)
- More information
- Live Stream of Plenaries
- Conference Programme
- Conference Brochure (pdf)
- Follow #datajustice18
Video and audio resources
Media and recordings of events attended by the team:
- [Video] Lina Dencik and Arne Hintz presented ‘Towards Data Justice: Social Justice in the Era of Datafication‘ at re:publica 2017. May 2017.
- [Video] Lina Dencik presented the seminar ‘Governance, Citizenship and Resistance in the Datafied Society‘ at the University of Edinburgh. May 2018.
- [Video] Fieke Jansen presented ‘Blinded by Technology‘ at Art Meets Radical Openness 2018. August 2018.
- [Video] Javier Sánchez presented the talk ‘Justicia social y datos: más allá de la privacidad en la era Big Data’ (Spanish) August 2018.
- [Podcast + Article] Javier Sánchez was interviewed on El Salto Radio: ‘Big Data, machine learning y justicia social: mitos y realidades‘ (Spanish). October 2018.
- [Audio] Javier presented the report ‘The datafication of borders and management of refugees in the context of Europe‘ at Post Apocalipsis Nau. The conversation includes activists of the network of solitary and welcome (red de solidaridad y acogida) in Madrid. December 2018.