Academic publications related to the project
- Javier Sánchez-Monedero and Lina Dencik. ‘The politics of deceptive borders: ‘biomarkers of deceit’ and the case of iBorderCtrl’ (Submitted). 2020. https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.09156
- Javier Sánchez-Monedero, Lina Dencik and Lilian Edwards. ‘What does it mean to solve the problem of discrimination in hiring? Social, technical and legal perspectives from the UK on automated hiring systems’. Accepted in ACM FAT* 2020. https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.06144
- Special Issue on Data Justice in the journal Information, Communication and Society. May 2019.
- Philippa Metcalfe and Lina Dencik. ‘The politics of big borders: Data (in)justice and the governance of refugees’. First Monday, Volume 24, Number 4 – 1 April 2019. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v24i4.9934
- Lina Dencik. 2018. ‘Surveillance Realism and the Politics of Imagination: Is There No Alternative?’ Krisis, Journal for Contemporary Philosophy, Data Activism, 1. http://krisis.eu/surveillance-realism-and-the-politics-of-imagination-is-there-no-alternative/.
- Lina Dencik, Arne Hintz and Jonathan Cable. 2016. ‘Towards Data Justice? The Ambiguity of Anti-Surveillance Resistance in Political Activism’. Big Data & Society 3 (2): 205395171667967. https://doi.org/10.1177/2053951716679678.
- The datafication of the workplace (PDF). Working paper by Javier Sánchez-Monedero and Lina Dencik. May 2019.
- Data Driven Policing in the Context of Europe (PDF) . Working paper by Fieke Jansen. May 2019.
- Engineering for social justice instead of fairness: a perspective from the context of policing. Blog post by Fieke Jansen. March 2019.
- How to (partially) evaluate automated decision systems (PDF). By Javier Sánchez-Monedero and Lina Dencik. December 2018.
- The datafication of borders and management of refugees in the context of Europe (PDF). By Javier Sánchez-Monedero. November 2018.
- A conceptual framework for approaching social justice in an age of datafication (PDF). By Lina Dencik, Fieke Jansen and Philippa Metcalfe. August 2018. Webpage available at https://datajusticeproject.net/2018/08/30/a-conceptual-framework-for-approaching-social-justice-in-an-age-of-datafication/.
The first ‘Data Justice’ Conference
The first ‘Data Justice’ conference was held 21-22 May 2018 at Cardiff University (Cardiff, UK)
- More information
- Live Stream of Plenaries
- Conference Programme
- Conference Brochure (pdf)
- Follow #datajustice18
- Lina Dencik was quoted on Novara Media piece on European smart border project ‘iBorderCtrl’: ‘AI Border Guards are Being Tested at the Edge of Fortress Europe, Away From Public Scrutiny.’ December 2019.
- Javier Sánchez was quoted about our work on the datafication of the workplace on Spanish media eldiario.es: ‘Los científicos se cansan de la moda de la Inteligencia Artificial y piden prohibir algunos de sus usos: “No se sostienen”‘. December 2019.
- Javier Sánchez wrote an article on the statistical limits of mass screening on eldiario.es: ‘Los límites estadísticos de la vigilancia masiva: no sirve para detectar individuos sino criminalizar colectivos‘. November 2019.
- Desalambre interviewed Javier on our work on border control and migration: ‘La frontera como base de datos‘. June 2019.
Video and audio resources
Media and recordings of events attended by the team:
- Videos of Data Power 2019 at ZeMKI Uni Bremen. September 2019. You can access to the ‘Data Justice’ panel here.
- Presentation of the “Data Justice Project“, by Lina Dencik.
- “Situating data (justice) in critical social theory“, by Lina Dencik.
- “Data-driven hiring, labour relations, and social justice“, by Javier Sanchez Monedero.
- [Video] Fieke Jansen presented ‘Blinded by Technology‘ at Art Meets Radical Openness 2018. August 2018.
- [Video] Lina Dencik presented the seminar ‘Governance, Citizenship and Resistance in the Datafied Society‘ at the University of Edinburgh. May 2018.
- [Video] Lina Dencik and Arne Hintz presented ‘Towards Data Justice: Social Justice in the Era of Datafication‘ at re:publica 2017. May 2017.
Spanish video and audio resources:
- [Video, Spanish] Javier presented the working paper on auditing of sociotechnical systems at Media Lab Prado’s workshop on Data, Ethics and Common Good in Madrid.
- [Audio, Spanish] Javier presented the report ‘The datafication of borders and management of refugees in the context of Europe‘ at Post Apocalipsis Nau. The conversation includes activists of the network of solitary and welcome (red de solidaridad y acogida) in Madrid. December 2018.
- [Podcast + Article, Spanish] Javier Sánchez was interviewed on El Salto Radio: ‘Big Data, machine learning y justicia social: mitos y realidades‘ (Spanish). October 2018.
- [Video, Spanish] Javier Sánchez presented the talk ‘Justicia social y datos: más allá de la privacidad en la era Big Data’ (Spanish) August 2018.